Skip to main content

Math of Sports Study Hall: The Spread and Victory, Basketball Edition

In one of my previous posts, I gave a lengthy explanation of the relationship between the Vegas spread in football and the probability that the favored team would ultimately win the game. Utilizing spread data that I collected over about an 8 year period, and assuming that the actual margin of victory would adopt a Normal / Gaussian distribution centered around the spread. I found that it was fairly simple to calculate the spread vs. victory curve once you know (based on a lot of data) that the standard deviation of the deviation of the actual result from the spread is around 14-15 points.

I was also curious about whether a similar analysis could be made based on college basketball data, but this was something that I never looked into previously.  Fortunately, I realized a few days ago that my go-to web sight for spread data (a site called "Prediction Tracker") has an mostly complete archive of spread data for all sorts of sports, including college basketball.  I quickly downloaded some CVS files and within a couple of hours, I set up a simple database of college basketball spread data fro 2004 to 2017 including over 47,000 games. As one would expect, you can perform the exact same analysis and learn that in basketball, the key standard deviation value is almost exactly 10 points and this value appears to hold steady (unlike football) as the spread gets bigger.  As a result, I was once again able to plot the spread vs. victory curve, which is shown here, along with the raw probably data from the database:


As one would expect, due to the tighter standard deviation the probability of victory rises quicker than it does in football such that a 7-point spread means a 75% chance of victory, the odds go over 90% at 13 points, and cross 99% at a spread of 23.5.  In tabular form, the data looks like this:


Anyway, I thought it was interesting. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Green and White Helps You Fill Out Your Bracket (2024 Edition)

For as long as I can remember, I have loved the NCAA Basketball Tournament. I love the bracket. I love the underdogs. I love One Shining Moment. I even love the CBS theme music. As a kid I filled out hand-drawn brackets and scoured the morning newspaper for results of late night games. As I got older, I started tracking scores using a increasing complex set of spreadsheets. Over time, as my analysis became more sophisticated, I began to notice certain patterns to the Madness I have found that I can use modern analytics and computational tools to gain a better understanding of the tournament itself and perhaps even extract some hints as to how the tournament might play out. Last year, I used this analysis to correctly predict that No. 4 seed UConn win the National Title in addition to other notable upsets. There is no foolproof way to dominate your office pool, but it is possible to spot upsets that are more likely than others and teams that are likely to go on a run or flame out early.

The Case for Optimism

In my experience there are two kinds of Michigan State fans. First, there are the pessimists. These are the members of the Spartan fan base who always expect the worst. Any amount of success for the Green and White is viewed to be a temporary spat of good luck. Even in the years when Dantonio was winning the Rose Bowl and Izzo was going to the Final Four, dark times were always just around the bend. Then, there are the eternal optimists. This part of the Spartan fan base always bets on the "over." These fans expect to go to, and win, and bowl games every year. They expect that the Spartans can win or least be competitive in every game on the schedule. The optimists believe that Michigan State can be the best Big Ten athletic department in the state. When it comes to the 2023 Michigan State football team, the pessimists are having a field day. A major scandal, a fired head coach, a rash of decommitments, and a four-game losing streak will do that. Less than 24 months after hoi

2023 Final Playoff and New Year's Six Predictions

The conference championships have all been played and, in all honesty, last night's results were the absolute worst-case scenario for the Selection Committee. Michigan and Washington will almost certainly be given the No. 1 and No. 2 seed and be placed in the Sugar Bowl and the Rose Bowl respectively. But there are four other teams with a reasonable claim on the last two spots and I have no idea what the committee is going to do. Florida State is undefeated, but the Seminoles played the weakest schedule of the four candidates and their star quarterbac (Jordan Travis) suffered a season ending injury in the second-to-last game of the regular season. Florida State is outside of the Top 10 in both the FPI and in my power rankings. I also the Seminoles ranked No. 5 in my strength of record metric, behind two of the other three candidates. Georgia is the defending national champions and were previously ranked No. 1 coming into the week. But after losing to Alabama in the SEC Title game,