Skip to main content

2015 MSU vs. UofM Football Players Declared Majors

A few months back I posted some pie charts showing the breakdown and declared majors on the MSU and UofM teams based on some previous media guides from 2013. We all know that UofM has a history on shunting athletes into diploma-mill type programs that have very little value in the real world, regardless of the block letter printed on the diploma (just ask Dennis Norfleet's people). In fact, I seem to remember a former player of theirs making some rather damning comments about this practice several years back. (I can't remember that guy's name... I wonder what ever happened to him?)

Anyway, with the change of regime and the recent conclusion to Big Ten media days, I thought the time would be right to complete the analysis on the 2015 squads for both teams. I was able to pull and analyze the roster from the MSU media guide. However, the 2015 depth chart and media guide for UofM does not seem to exist on the internet right now, which is weird. OSU and Wisconsin's are, just as an example. Nonetheless, I was able to find a projected depth chart for UofM somewhere and they have player bios on the MGoBlowYourself website, so I went ahead and used that data for the analysis. For MSU, considering only players in the 2-deeps (so we focus on the guys who will actually play), here is the chart



Clearly Advertising, Criminal Justice, Sociology, and Social Science lead the pack here (55% of the 2-deeps) with a nice scattering of other majors. Now, here is the same chart for UofM:



The entire 2-deep consists of only 10 majors total (MSU has 19), and almost 60% of the 2-deep are either undeclared or in the infamously rigorous "General Studies" program. 

To be fair, MSU does also have some players listed as "No Preference" which is essentially the same as Undeclared. There are 9 total on the full roster, 5 of which are true Freshman, 3 are red-shirt Freshman, and 1 is a true sophomore (Malik McDowell). However, UofM has 16 Juniors on the full roster who are undeclared, and 20 sophomores! Because the roster is not the most updated version, the Freshman are largely not listed (but those are are... undeclared as well)

As I say, perhaps this data is just out-dated and Saint Harbaugh came in, cracked some skulls, and now the entire Junior class in majoring in a combination or neurobiology, astrophysics, and chemical engineering... but I doubt it. I will check back in once and if I can ever get a copy of their media guide.

Just for fun, here are the pie charts for the full rosters:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Green and White Helps You Fill Out Your Bracket (2024 Edition)

For as long as I can remember, I have loved the NCAA Basketball Tournament. I love the bracket. I love the underdogs. I love One Shining Moment. I even love the CBS theme music. As a kid I filled out hand-drawn brackets and scoured the morning newspaper for results of late night games. As I got older, I started tracking scores using a increasing complex set of spreadsheets. Over time, as my analysis became more sophisticated, I began to notice certain patterns to the Madness I have found that I can use modern analytics and computational tools to gain a better understanding of the tournament itself and perhaps even extract some hints as to how the tournament might play out. Last year, I used this analysis to correctly predict that No. 4 seed UConn win the National Title in addition to other notable upsets. There is no foolproof way to dominate your office pool, but it is possible to spot upsets that are more likely than others and teams that are likely to go on a run or flame out early.

The Case for Optimism

In my experience there are two kinds of Michigan State fans. First, there are the pessimists. These are the members of the Spartan fan base who always expect the worst. Any amount of success for the Green and White is viewed to be a temporary spat of good luck. Even in the years when Dantonio was winning the Rose Bowl and Izzo was going to the Final Four, dark times were always just around the bend. Then, there are the eternal optimists. This part of the Spartan fan base always bets on the "over." These fans expect to go to, and win, and bowl games every year. They expect that the Spartans can win or least be competitive in every game on the schedule. The optimists believe that Michigan State can be the best Big Ten athletic department in the state. When it comes to the 2023 Michigan State football team, the pessimists are having a field day. A major scandal, a fired head coach, a rash of decommitments, and a four-game losing streak will do that. Less than 24 months after hoi

2023 Final Playoff and New Year's Six Predictions

The conference championships have all been played and, in all honesty, last night's results were the absolute worst-case scenario for the Selection Committee. Michigan and Washington will almost certainly be given the No. 1 and No. 2 seed and be placed in the Sugar Bowl and the Rose Bowl respectively. But there are four other teams with a reasonable claim on the last two spots and I have no idea what the committee is going to do. Florida State is undefeated, but the Seminoles played the weakest schedule of the four candidates and their star quarterbac (Jordan Travis) suffered a season ending injury in the second-to-last game of the regular season. Florida State is outside of the Top 10 in both the FPI and in my power rankings. I also the Seminoles ranked No. 5 in my strength of record metric, behind two of the other three candidates. Georgia is the defending national champions and were previously ranked No. 1 coming into the week. But after losing to Alabama in the SEC Title game,