Skip to main content

B1G Hoops Projections for 02/17 (Faith and Hope)

Full disclosure: I did not actually watch the game on Saturday night. I had family obligations and was recording the game for potential viewing at a later time in the evening.  I did manage to catch the score a little before half time and that was enough for me to know that this was one of those games where it would be best just to check the score once the game was finished to see if it was going to be worth watching or not.

Once I got home, I checked the final score.  Then I checked the box score and final play-by-play details.  At that point I was truly grateful that I did not watch the game, and especially the final four minutes, as my living room does contain few heavy objects, and I don't particularly feel like buying a new television.

As I said on Friday, this was a game that MSU needed to win.  They didn't.  So now, it is time to re-evaluate goals and expectations.  From a numerical point of view, here is where MSU stands following yet another very costly loss:





From an expected win point of view, Maryland has almost of full game lead over Penn State.  Penn State now has almost a 2-game lead over the 3rd place team, which is still, believe it or not, your MSU Spartans.  But, several other teams are now closing in.  Iowa, Wisconsin, and Illinois are all a half game back or less from MSU.

Rutgers and Ohio State are next up, followed by Michigan, who for the first time since mid-January is above 10 wins in expected value again.  Meanwhile, Purdue and Indiana have slipped below 10 wins and Indiana is now under 8.5.  Nebraska and Northwestern remain very, very bad.

As for the championship odds, those are shown here:



As predicted, MSU's loss essentially makes the Big Ten regular season race a 2-horse affair between Maryland and Penn State.  MSU's odds are now very slim (4%).  Even if MSU runs the table from here on out, the odds are below 50% that they would still share the title.  It is time to focus on what's next.  For good measure, here is the current enhanced Big Ten standings:



So, what is next?  I think that the next logical question is can MSU still get a Top 4 seed in the BTT and avoid playing on Thursday.  While I cannot give you exact odds on that (my simulation doesn't quite track the right data to handle tie-breakers) I can give a pretty good rule of thumb:

If MSU can finish at 12-8 (winning 3 of the final 5 games) or better, then a Top 4 seed is very likely.  The odds to finish 12-8 or better (based on the win matrix above) are about 64%.  So, I think that it is safe to safe that playing on Thursday is a roughly 50-50 proposition at this point.  If MSU can only finish at 11-9, a 5 or 6 seed in the BTT seems likely.  A 10-10 record may only be good enough for an 8-seed.  Let's try not to think about that...

Again, this is purely based on math derived from season-averaged Kenpom data.  MSU is clearly under-achieving right now.  MSU is in a slump and they need to pull themselves out of it.  At this point, I honestly don't have a lot of faith that they are going to turn things around.  However, I do still have the hope that they will.  Hope and faith are very different things.  

As for the case for hope, here goes.  MSU is still playing enough good backetball, at times, to give me hope that there is still a good to very good basketball team in there somewhere.  We saw that team in early January.  The roster is still there.  Kenpom suggests that on average, they are still there (still 10th overall).  MSU just hasn't been able to string together more than about 20 minutes of good effort together at a time recently to actually beat many good teams.  Can and will that get better?

I think there is hope that it does.  For one thing, MSU has been playing A LOT of games right on top of each other for the last month.  For the last 7 games, MSU has been playing on either 3- or mostly 2-days rest.  The remaining 5 games are more spread out.  MSU has 4 days off before the game at Nebraska and another 4 days off before hosting Iowa, and then 3 days off before a trip to Maryland. 

While that may not seem like a big deal, I think that it is, both from a rest stand-point as well as a practice standpoint.  When we also consider the fact that half of the team seems to have had the flu over the last month, perhaps it is no surprise that the team is a step slow at times.  A step slow is enough to get beat most nights in the Big Ten.  

This is also typically the time year when Izzo is (trying) to tighten the final screws on team.  He will have more time to do so over the next few weeks.  The only question is whether the screws still have threads on them.  I hope that they do, but I cannot be certain.  

There is that word again... hope.  A few weeks ago I would have used faith.  Now, we are down to hope.  Hope is not nothing, but it also isn't a strategy.  Fortunately, I am not the one that needs to develop and execute the strategy to try to fix this team.  That man is Coach Izzo.  While I don't necessarily have faith in this team anymore, I do have faith in Coach Izzo.  If anyone can fix this... it's him. 

Next up is a mid-week trip to Lincoln to face the very bad Nebraska Cornhuskers.  MSU needs to leave town with its 10th conference win, or things could get very, very ugly.  At this point, we cannot and should not look any farther ahead.  Let's just take this one step at a time and hope for the best.  Go Green.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Green and White Helps You Fill Out Your Bracket (2024 Edition)

For as long as I can remember, I have loved the NCAA Basketball Tournament. I love the bracket. I love the underdogs. I love One Shining Moment. I even love the CBS theme music. As a kid I filled out hand-drawn brackets and scoured the morning newspaper for results of late night games. As I got older, I started tracking scores using a increasing complex set of spreadsheets. Over time, as my analysis became more sophisticated, I began to notice certain patterns to the Madness I have found that I can use modern analytics and computational tools to gain a better understanding of the tournament itself and perhaps even extract some hints as to how the tournament might play out. Last year, I used this analysis to correctly predict that No. 4 seed UConn win the National Title in addition to other notable upsets. There is no foolproof way to dominate your office pool, but it is possible to spot upsets that are more likely than others and teams that are likely to go on a run or flame out early.

The Case for Optimism

In my experience there are two kinds of Michigan State fans. First, there are the pessimists. These are the members of the Spartan fan base who always expect the worst. Any amount of success for the Green and White is viewed to be a temporary spat of good luck. Even in the years when Dantonio was winning the Rose Bowl and Izzo was going to the Final Four, dark times were always just around the bend. Then, there are the eternal optimists. This part of the Spartan fan base always bets on the "over." These fans expect to go to, and win, and bowl games every year. They expect that the Spartans can win or least be competitive in every game on the schedule. The optimists believe that Michigan State can be the best Big Ten athletic department in the state. When it comes to the 2023 Michigan State football team, the pessimists are having a field day. A major scandal, a fired head coach, a rash of decommitments, and a four-game losing streak will do that. Less than 24 months after hoi

2023 Final Playoff and New Year's Six Predictions

The conference championships have all been played and, in all honesty, last night's results were the absolute worst-case scenario for the Selection Committee. Michigan and Washington will almost certainly be given the No. 1 and No. 2 seed and be placed in the Sugar Bowl and the Rose Bowl respectively. But there are four other teams with a reasonable claim on the last two spots and I have no idea what the committee is going to do. Florida State is undefeated, but the Seminoles played the weakest schedule of the four candidates and their star quarterbac (Jordan Travis) suffered a season ending injury in the second-to-last game of the regular season. Florida State is outside of the Top 10 in both the FPI and in my power rankings. I also the Seminoles ranked No. 5 in my strength of record metric, behind two of the other three candidates. Georgia is the defending national champions and were previously ranked No. 1 coming into the week. But after losing to Alabama in the SEC Title game,